The JHCY is published by Johns Hopkins Press and is the official journal of the SHCY. From the website: The JHCY “explores the development of childhood and youth cultures and the experiences of young people across diverse times and places. JHCY embraces a wide range of historical methodologies as well as scholarship in other disciplines that share a historical focus. The Journal publishes original articles based on empirical research and essays that place contemporary issues of childhood and youth in a historical context. Each issue also includes an ‘object lesson’ on the material culture of childhood, contemporary policy pieces, and relevant book reviews.”
The duties of the editor include:
- recruiting articles and object lessons
- managing the peer review process through the online ScholarOne system
- copyediting all articles and object lessons, and proofreading book reviews
- ensuring that authors submit illustrations and permissions to publish text and illustration
- supervising copyeditor and proofreader
- procuring cover illustrations
- submitting annual reports to the JHCY Board and SHCY members (including a budget)
- appointing the committee that awards the Best Article Prize for the JHCY
- submitting JHCY nominations for Fass-Sandin Prize
- maintaining communication with the President of the Society
The JHCY is published three times a year. Deadlines for submitting completed issues are March 1, July 1, and November 1. The editorship position has followed different successful models, from one person to a committee of three. Currently, the book review section is co-edited by Cori Field and Nick Syrett. For additional information concerning the position, please contact current editor Professor James Marten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Society recognizes this as considerable (unpaid) labour. This may be offset through course releases given by the editor’s (or editors’) institution(s).
Start date is negotiable but ideally the new editor(s) would be ready to take on full responsibility for the July 2018 issue.
Statement of interest and applications [including relevant experience] should be addressed to the JHCY editor search committee through Tamara Myers (email@example.com); we aim to have the position filled by July 1, 2017.