The Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth seeks articles (8000 words) for a themed issue on the portrayal of the histories of children and of childhood in museum settings. The issue will be guest-edited by Loren Lerner, Professor of Art History at Concordia University in Montreal.
Potential topics for articles include:
- histories of childhood museums: their origins, ideologies, changing philosophies, and current practices;
- frameworks and perspectives on national museum collections of childhood objects;
- studies on the constructions of children and youth in recent exhibitions across diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds;
- discussions on the evolution of artefacts in museums reflective of childhood and child rearing such as toys and games, clothing, furniture, books and diverse items related to home and school life;
- debates on the issues, practices, and policies of childhood museums including collection development, education, research, and other subjects of concern to academic scholarship and, or the local community.
Proposals for articles to be sent to Loren Lerner at email@example.com by 1 April 2017 should include:
- Name of author, institutional affiliation, email address
- Title of article
- 300-500 words abstract of the article
- Estimated number and type of illustrations
- 50-words brief bio
Successful proposers will be notified by 1 May 2017, with finished articles to be delivered by 1 September 2017. Publication is projected for Summer 2018.